FACT OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE
A third of the world’s population speaks English as a first or secondary language, over 2 billion people. English is one of the easiest and simplest natural language in the world. we all use more or less English words knowingly or unknowingly in our daily lives. We daily read some English words…….But do we know some fact about English language?
Today I am going to write about some fact of English language.
1. The letter A to Z is called Alphabet and is 26 in numbers.
2.English Alphabet has 5 vowel and 21 consonant.
3. A, E, I, O & U is called vowel. Y and W are semi vowel.
4.The sentence that contains all the 26 letters is called Pangram. For example-
“THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG”
“PACK MY BOX WITH FIVE DOZEN LIQUOR JUGS.”
5.The word FACETIOUS is the only word that contains all of the
vowels in their particular alphabetical order.
6.The dot over the letter ‘i’ and ” j” is called title.The dot is known as superscript dot.
7. GO is the shortest grammatically correct sentence in English.
8. ¼ of the world population speaks at least some English.
9.The two most common word in English are I & YOU
10.The most common adjective used in English is GOOD.
11. The most commonly used noun is Time
12. The word set has the highest number of definitions.
13. Month, Orange & Silver do not rhyme with any other word.
14. Over 80% of the information stored on computers worldwide is in English.
15. The word lol was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2011.
16.The first English Dictionary was written in 1755.
17. The oldest English word that is still in use is town.
18. More English words begin with the letter s than with any other letter.
19. The word uncopyrightable is the longest English word in normal use that contains no letter more than once.
20. The word alphabet comes from the first two letters of the Greek alphabet: alpha, beta.
21.In normal usage, the # symbol has several names…Such as, hash, pound sign, number sign.
22.The longest English word without a true vowel (a,e,I,o & u) is rhythm.
22. The most common letter in English is e.
23. The most common vowel in English is e followed by a.
24. The most common consonant in English is r followed by t.
25. Only two English words in current use end in – gry, They are hungry and angry.
SHAFAQUE FATMA(शफ़क़ फातमा)
Primary school, Ahmadpur(gov.)
Note: The words or sentences or dates in the article are of writer’s herself.